Five Stages of Team Development
The five stages of team development in the Tuckman Ladder are:
These stages are described in the table below. Some key points to note are:
- Usually these stages occur in order.
- But teams can get stuck in a particular stage or regress to an earlier stage.
- Projects with team members who worked together in the past might skip a stage.
- The duration of a particular stage depends upon team dynamics, team size, and team leadership.
- Project managers should have a good understanding of team dynamics in order to move their team members through all stages in an effective manner.
The header row shows the five stages of team development in the Tuckman Ladder. The footer shows the leadership style that the project manager adopts in these stages.